For a while we have been wondering whether we should stay in Beijing or move on. I finally made my decision, handed in my notice and was offered a job in Abu Dhabi – we were all set to leave in the summer.
But then we had a change of heart!
Paul always wanted to stay in Beijing longer, it was me who felt ready to leave, so when I brought up the idea of staying, he was up for the idea straight away. A few things have changed my mind recently.
- In my first year of middle-leadership I felt a bit lost, with no guidance. This year we got a new senior leader who is great, gives us the opportunity to fly and I really think I could learn a lot from her. She will push me to be better!
- My EYFS department is undergoing some very exciting changes next year, changes that I am planning. As I put the plans together, feeling so excited, I realised that I wasn’t going to see any of my plans in action, somebody else would and that broke my heart a little!
- Bonus! This wasn’t high up on our radar but we get a bonus for every 2 years of our contract we complete and next year marks the end of my 2 year contract, and bonus year! Of course, walking away from a bonus for the sake of a year played a part, particularly because bonus year also means epic summer of travel year!
- Beijing really isn’t that bad! Of course, there are frustrations, like there are in every country, but in general, I like Beijing! Any place is what you make of it! Living in Beijing for another year really wouldn’t be so terrible.
- Moving back to the suburbs instead of the city would have made life so much easier, so we did! At the moment I feel that I spend my life travelling to work, working and sleeping, it’s not a great feeling. Moving back to be nearby work will make like in general so much easier.
- We’re definitely not finished exploring Asia yet! I feel that if we leave Beijing now, I will feel unsatisfied with the travelling we have done and I don’t know if I’d make the trip to visit some of the countries around China, because, let’s face it, I’m obsessed with visiting the USA.
So, that’s it, we’ll be spending another year in Beijing, possibly longer, but for now who knows? I’m looking forward to what next year will bring! It’s strange how your heart can change in such a short space of time and I think next year in Beijing will be a good one for us!